Position: DHIS2 Database Manager/ Information System Specialist
Department: Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL)
Reports to: Senior Technical Advisor, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (DC based) Location: Regional Office (Nairobi) or Country Offices: Zambia, Tanzania, Uganda Last updated: November 2023
Contract type: National Contract. Candidates need to be local nationals or have a valid working permit.
Action Against Hunger leads the global movement to end hunger. We innovate solutions, advocate for change, and reach 28 million people every year with proven hunger prevention and treatment programs. As a nonprofit that works across 55 countries, our 8,990 dedicated staff members partner with communities to address the root causes of hunger, including climate change, conflict, inequity, and emergencies. We strive to create a world free from hunger, for everyone, for good.
Action Against Hunger USA is part of the Action Against Hunger International network. As an independent NGO, Action Against Hunger USA currently manages operations in 8 countries: Kenya, South Sudan, Somalia, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Zambia and Haiti. Action Against Hunger-USA has over $100 million in programs, and approximately 1,800 permanent staff based in New York City, Washington D.C, Nairobi, and country offices. Additional growth is anticipated.
I. Job Summary
The DHIS2 Database Manager/ Information Systems Specialist is responsible for supporting the Action Against Hunger MEAL staff in adopting DHIS 2 into daily work processes, developing DHIS 2 modules, advancing collective DHIS 2 implementation and providing technical support to new DHIS 2 users within the MEAL and Program teams. The position involves establishing new procedures as well as effectively implementing existing ones to collect, analyze and disseminate data.
Purpose: Provides technical leadership on DHIS 2 implementation and makes recommendations on how to integrate DHIS 2 into business operations following best practices for quality, testability & operability.
Engagement: Works closely with members of the Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Team. Attends and participates in staff meetings, workshops and Mentors and coaches MEAL staff.
Delivery: The position demands great communication skills, flexibility, proactivity, and efficiency, with demands and expectations prone to changing on a day-to-day basis.
II. Essential Job Duties
1. DHIS 2 Configuration
• Lead and support country offices to configure and implement DHIS2 for data management and dashboards.
• Conduct technical research on the new system features and provide relevant presentations to the end users.
• Recommending improvements and assisting in changes to best practices.
• Maintain data integration components such as SQL queries, stored procedures, data extraction and cleansing, and integration with system front-end component.
• Create scripts to integrate with Scheduler for automating production runs.
• Collaborates with all roles within the MEAL team to implement DHIS 2 in data collection and data entry relevant projects.
• Develop, updates, repairs, and modifies DHIS 2 modules to comply with project requirements.
2. Data Management and Analysis
• Support team members in analyzing the collected data. Work with MEAL teams to build out analytical use cases and visualizations for DHIS2.
• Create dashboards with frequently used favorites and standard reports based on the migrated indicators from different countries data source at all levels.
• Provide support for the systems after they go live in a very dynamic, geographically distributed and timeline sensitive work environment.
• Automate the export functions for various global MEAL reports including but not limited to quarterly project/country reports, to ease the integration with dashboards.
• Support the preparation of dashboards and infographics in MEAL departments using dashboards.
3. Quality Assurance
• Develop and implement Quality assurance and Security protocols.
• Develop controls such as program rules and validations to ensure data completeness and accuracy.
• Works closely with other teams across the organization and contributes to team meetings to understand and mitigate issues as well as improve performance.
4. Capacity Building
• Train DHIS 2 users in data management and provides technical support at all levels.
• Facilitate communication of complex technical information in an easy and user-friendly manner.
• Review and provide feedback on user testing plans, user manuals, and other supporting documents.
• Support countries in assessing and recommending appropriate technology requirements for setup and implementation of DHIS2 based solutions, including server requirements, data backup, etc.
5. Other duties as required
• Effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
• Effectively work in both independent and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
• Identify, build, and maintain relationships with and contribute to global DHIS2 communities.
• Perform other duties as assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed in this document are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and not necessarily all inclusive.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
• Mentors and supports technical/MEAL teams in-country as needed.
IV. Fiscal Responsibility
• Participates in development and implementation of project budgets.
V. Physical Demands
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for long periods and to concentrate on work, including typing, and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within short time frames under stressful situations in the context of a moderately noisy office with interruptions.
• To travel to the field, the employee must attest to a level of physical fitness capable of enduring physically difficult, highly stressful situations which may include the necessity to walk long distances, to eat a limited diet and/or to reside in potentially uncomfortable housing or tents.
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
VI. Working Conditions, Travel and Environment
• The duties of the job require regular job attendance at least five days per week. Must be available to work outside normal office hours or on the weekends as required by contact with the missions, mission security, or other obligations.
• Must be able to travel as required for standard domestic and international business travel as well as to the missions if appropriate. While visiting the field, the employee may be exposed to precarious settings under high security risks and/or very basic living conditions and outside weather conditions, as well is to infectious diseases.
VII. Gender Equality Commitments & Zero Tolerance to Abuse
• Foster an environment that reinforces values of people of all genders equal access to information.
• Provide a work environment where people of all genders must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
• Promote a safe, secure, and respectful environment for all stakeholders, particularly for children, beneficiaries, and members of staff.
• Help to prevent any type of abuse including workplace harassment and sexual abuse and exploitation.
• Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sex orientation, disability, religion, race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
• Value and respect all cultures.
VIII. Required Qualifications
• Bachelor’s degree from college or university in Statistics, Social Science, Medical
• Science, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems Technology, or a
• related field. A postgraduate degree is desirable.
• Minimum of 3 years documented practical DHIS 2 implementation experience.
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience in data management and analysis.
• Experience developing, upgrading, and repairing DHIS 2 modules.
IX. Required Skills & Experience
• 4-5 years of experience in implementing DHIS2 at the national and subnational levels.
• Experience working on a range of Health Information System domains, including HMIS, LMIS, EMRs and other mobile data collection tools will be a plus.
• Experience designing, testing, and implementing information systems and data tools, including mobile applications, transactional systems, business intelligence implementations and interoperability solutions.
• Broad understanding of digital health infrastructure (e.g., data centers, networks, hardware) and application services.
• Familiarity with industry standard approaches and standards for health information exchange and interoperability.
• Strong project management skills and experience using digital tools to manage projects, such as Microsoft
• Knowledge and experience applying the Principles for Digital Development.
• Proven ability to work collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team and to build consensus.
• Detail-oriented and deadline-driven with strong organizational skills
• Highly self-motivated and able to work independently as well as in team settings.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with team members and clients of different cultures, gender, and hierarchical levels.
• Professional verbal and written fluency in English required.
• Ability to work in a dynamic and agile environment with changing requirements and priorities.
Professional Expertise/Competencies Preferred:
• DHIS Academy Certification.
• Experience implementing DHIS 2 Tracker.
• Ability to guide and support clients, project teams and technical teams in designing and implementing solutions that meet specified requirements; knowledge of user-centered design methodologies.
• International NGO and donor experiences.
Excellent oral and written communication skills, with fluency in English, are required.
How to apply
To apply click on the link below: